Wednesday 14 October 2015

Hiya! Welcome to my Blog!




Hiya! Welcome to my Blog!


As we all know climate change is a heavily written (and debated on) topic, especially its impact on the visible changes towards our physical environment like extreme heatwaves and changes in precipitation regimes. For example, more recently I was in Hong Kong during summer and it was all over the news that Hong Kong experienced the hottest June hitting an average of 29.7 degrees Celsius since records began more than a century ago in 1885 (Lai, 2015).

With the increasing temperatures noted of 0.6 degrees increase over the past 100 years (Walther et al. 2002). Have you ever thought more broadly about the impacts of changes in climate on biodiversity, a less debated topic on climate change, and how they are either adapting or losing out to climate change (apart from polar bears in Arctic)? Eventhough we are only at an early stage of projected trends in climate change, there are now visible evidence of ecological impacts and responses from ecosystems worldwide. 


                                                                                  
                                                    Biodiversity surrounding us!

So what will I focus my blog on the next few months? I hope to explore how a range of biodiversity has recently responded and adapted to the recent climate change. Yes, you might be thinking…'BIODIVERSITY' is a broad word. However, since I would like to blog on recent news articles, blogs or academic literature that I find most interesting about throughout the upcoming months, I decided not to narrow it down to a particular species or habitat. I hope to bring DIVERSITY to our conversation (yes, our conversation - between me and you the readers), hence the focus on my upcoming posts can range from the smallest microscopic animals and community levels to large ecosystem like the Great Barrier Reefs. Eventhough I will be exploring how climate change has caused impacts, changes and adaptation in biodiversity, however, it is also important to note that human impacts (such as urbanization, agricultural activities) may also inevitably play a role in exacerbating these changes, and the response mechanism that a particular species or habitat might have taken.

Instead of rambling on without interesting examples, here is a short overview of an article that popped up on my ‘facebook trendings’ timeline last night. Wildfowl and Wetland Trust (WWT) reserve just recorded the earliest arrival of first Bewick’s swans on Sunday (25 days earlier than 2014) that migrate 2500 miles from Russia to escape from the approaching arrival of cold weather since they began recording in 1963 (Finnagan, 2015). Experts suggest that the premature arrival of winter temperatures hitting Eastern Europe and parts of Western Russia with temperatures currently 5-10 degrees Celsius lower than average has encouraged Bewick’s swans to migrate westwards earlier than anticipated (Payne, 2015).


                                                          
                                              
                                                 Early migration of Bewick’s Swan to Britain!

                                                 
  
                                                        Belwick's swan's Migration Route!

Last but not least, you are probably wondering why I decided to blog on this topic. Last year one of the topics I really enjoyed in the Ecological Patterns module was the lecture on Response of European Wildlife and Vegetation to Climate Change (at least I think that's what its called). And yes, I spend a whole lot of time revising for that particular 2- hour lecture hoping that it would have popped up on the exam cause I really enjoyed it (and also dont know why I was pretty convinced it was going to come up)! But turns out, I’m not a psychic and it didn’t. So here I am, hoping to channel some of the knowledge (or bigger pictures) I’ve learnt from the readings I vaguely remember, as well as learning more on the topic!

I hope it will turn out to be something enjoyable (and educational!) for everyone to read. Feel free to comment on any of my posts or any critiques/arguments I might not have covered as I’ve got so much more to learn, and also I don't want to feel lonely being the only one that’s on one-end of the conversation. So hoping you can do me a favour and join in!










2 comments:

  1. Good start Eva. Have you come across http://www.ipbes.net/? It's an international organisation, similar to IPCC but for biodiversity and ecosystem services...

    A quick comment on citation use: rather than having any citations, try hyperlinking relevant text directly to the source papers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Anson! I will take a look at that website.

    ReplyDelete